Wednesday, August 26, 2009

12 year olds who cook

One of the careers my youngest wants to pursue is being a chef. He also wants to be a scientist and a doctor and an engineer....and a chef! He just can't decide in which order he should try them all.

I remember being told "you can be anything you want, you'll just have to work hard" by my mom when I was around his age, or maybe a little bit older. I've since shared this thought with my kids and several of my friends, and like most things, some of them love it, and some of them immediately list the things I *can't* be. I can't be an astronaut, because my vision is imperfect. I can't join the military because I'm too old. I can't be a Scandinavian man, and I can't be 6' tall.

Some days it's so tiresome to hear people utter the word "can't." I find myself actually avoiding people who focus on what they can't do. It sounds like such a difficult way to go through life.

I prefer to focus on what we CAN do. Like bake chocolate chip cookies, or crescent rolls, without assistance.

I love it when my son cooks for me. :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment