Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The dietary habits of dogs


My dog eats rocks. There, I said it. He does. And I just can't get too choked up about it (pun intended) anymore. He might just be too stupid to live.

He likes to play with them, roll them around in his mouth, sort of like kids do with a jaw breaker candy. Sometimes he'll drop the rock on the floor in front of him and watch it intently, waiting for it to run away like a mouse would.

After play time is over, he looks at me and "gulp" - the rock is gone.


What else does he eat? Socks. Kitchen towels. Sticks. Anything wooden. Blankets. Bones. Hamburgers, up to 5 at a time, if left unattended on the kitchen table. He confiscated a lemon one day, thinking it was a yellow ball, and lost interest as soon as he tasted its lemony-goodness. Perhaps I should put lemon juice on the family heirlooms? There are WAY too many rocks in the yard to spray.

It's like having a fast, hungry toddler in the house. He hasn't needed surgery yet (knock on wood) to retrieve any unwieldy objects from his gut, but I'm expecting that someday he might.

Until then, we'll try to keep the bad stuff out of reach.

No comments:

Post a Comment